Girls Running the World Daisy Dash and 5K
2013 will be our second annual run and we’ve changed the name to Girls Running the World Daisy Dash and 5K to have a permanent name for this great event! The Girls Running the World Daisy Dash and 5K will celebrate putting your best self & foot forward by engaging in healthy choices and exercise! Last year you embraced the power of you, with healthy choices inside & out to become stronger, faster, and to define what a strong, courageous girl is moving forward into our next 100 years of Girl Scouting.
Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character, and the run is a great way to get started. Imagine the possibilities of how you can take charge, impact future, and begin to think about your plan to play a role in “Running the World”
The Daisy Dash was a great addition to last year’s run, giving our youngest members the chance to participate in all of the fun! It will be great fun to see the Daisies line up and take off for their finish line shortly after the 5K begins.
Once again the race will be non-competitive in nature to allow for everyone to complete the 5K portion at their own pace but we will have the time clock on hand for those who are serious runners. Training guides have been developed and updated to help troops and girls exploring healthy living and the Girl Scout Journeys to reach your goal. The training guides will be available on the GSNENY website for you to download and use.
Leading up to Girls Running the World 5K & Daisy Dash, we will be working to add activities and programs exploring healthy living, nutrition, relationships, advocacy and self-image along with training sessions to prepare for the run. Watch the GSNENY website for fun tips and updates as well as
GS Express and Volunteer Connections.
If you are looking for a great website to assist you as you prepare for the Dash and 5K visit www.c25k.com. Also, check with your local grocery stores to find if they have a nutritionist who can offer a tour or program for your community or troop.
GSNENY staff will be on hand to cheer you on as well as participating in the run! Capital District Community Gardens will be on hand as well as other partners. We’ll make certain to have music and warm-up activities ready to get you revved up to run!
Saturday, April 27, 2013
Check-In Time: begins at 8:30 am
5K starts at 10:00 am / Daisy Dash at 10:15 am
Location: Schenectady Central Park
Cost: $20/girl for both Daisy Dash & 5K
Includes the Girls Running the World Daisy Dash & 5K t-shirt and participation medal.
Includes Girls Running the World t-shirt.
Remember when registering to include the t-shirt sizes required as well as signing the Girls Running the World Daisy Dash & 5K Participation Waiver.
Registration is now closed.
Additional Information for the run:
- First Aid Volunteers will be wearing Orange vests and will be stationed as you come out of the woods on Patrolman Chaires Lane & the Pavilion.
- Course Marshalls and road closure volunteers will be wearing neon green vests please follow their instructions.
- All Girls Running the World Volunteers will be wearing a white t-shirt with the shoe logo.
- Several parents of the Daisy Dash will be participating in the 5K and in order for them to see their girls dash we have moved the time of the Daisy Dash to 11:00. This also allows for the 5K participants to cheer them on.
- Inside the girl water bottle there is a blue ticket please remember to bring it with you on Saturday it is for some giveaways that we have planned that will be drawn at noon.
- The weather forecast is sunny and 70 degrees so remember there are picnic areas, grills, playgrounds near the Pavilion, Zumba at one and other equipment for you to use.
- Please remember to bring your old sneakers minus the mud for Troop 2174’s Take Action Project.
Medal distribution for all girl participants will take place in the Pavilion after the Daisy Dash is completed. Girls will need to fill out a survey in order to receive their medal.
Please visit our social media sites to view updates, fun facts, and tips as you’re training for the run!
This event has been supported by grants from the MVMA Foundation, Price Chopper’s Golub Foundation, NBT Bank, and the Rotary Club of Schenectady East.