signup for our e-newsletter

GS Blog

Hop, skip, walk, jog or run down and join us!

2012 is Year of the Girl-celebrate by putting your best self forward! Year of the Girl is a lot more than a running program. Embrace the power of you, with healthy choices inside & out. Be stronger, faster, and define what a healthy, strong and courageous, girl is-2012 and beyond!

Year of the Girl Run is a ten week program open to Brownies & up and covers the following topics:

• Nutrition
  • Training
  • Fitness
  • Self-image & self-esteem
  • Bullying
  • Healthy media images

The program will culminate in a non-competitive run on Sunday, April 29th 2012. This run is open to all Girl Scouts & their families and is located at the Sage College campus in Troy at Bush Memorial Hall. The run will begin promptly at 9:00am through historic Downtown Troy.   All participants will receive a t-shirt & all girl members will receive a participation medal. Please note that registration is CLOSED for the Run and Daisy Dash. There will be NO DAY OF REGISTRATION.

Complete these three easy steps to be a part of this once in a life time event!

Download your toolkit for the Year of the Girl Run:

Waiver

The cost of this program is $20 /girl (includes price of T-Shirt and Medal) and $15 /adult (includes price of T-Shirt)

Registration runs from January 17th through March 16th. Packet pick up will be on Friday April 27th from 10:00am-4:30pm at the Albany Service Center or on Sunday, April 29th at Bush Memorial Hall from 7:30am-8:30 am.  If you have any questions, please call Allison Marinucci at 518-348-1413 ext. 402 or email her at amarinucci@gsneny.org.

A great deal of Daisy Leaders and parents have shown interest in the Year of the Girl Run. Although we would have enjoyed being able to include them in the Run itself due to the length of the race, course and other variables we are unable to do so. Girl Scouting is a progressive program allowing for growth as girls get older. We would like to invite Daisies to be a part of this day by offering the “Daisy Dash”, a 400 meter run for them to run at 9:15 am after the participants in the Run have begun. The 400 meter will held at Bush Memorial at the starting point for the actual run and finish along the same route as the Run participants will take.  We would hope they would then be willing to act as a cheer squad at the finish line for those participating in the Run. There will be no fee attached to the Daisy portion of the program, but if you and the girls are interested in purchasing on of the Year of the Girl t-shirts the cost is $12.00 per t-shirt and we will need to sizes you would like to order. Please contact Allison Marinucci amarinucci@gsneny.org or Linda Stephen lstephen@gsneny.org if you are interested in participating.

Comments

1. Should Daisy Scouts follow the Brownie training toolkit? My troop is second year Daisies, they will have their Court of Awards the day before the race. Thanks!

January 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm by Patty Persell

2. My family & I are VERY disappointed! We’ll be abiding by our GS promise Sunday AM… serving GOD! It’s not fair that we’ll have to miss this… any chance you can hold it later in the day or on Saturday as well?!

I’m very disappointed that GSNENY would even plan something like this on a Sunday AM! :(

January 18, 2012 at 12:16 am by Cher McCotter

3. Dear Cher,

Unfortunately, the race date was contingent upon the City of Troy because of the use of city streets and their resources required to maintain a safe environment. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at amarinucci@gsneny.org. Thank you.

January 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm by Allison Marinucci

4. Patty,
    Due to the nature of the activity and age of the girls, Daisies will be unable to participate as runners. However,there are many opportunities for Daisies to participate by volunteering! Please email me at amarinucci@gsneny.org for information on how your troop can be apart of Year of the Girl Run. We are currently considering this to be an annual event, and as your girls become Brownies, they can complete the program leading up to the race. Thank you.

January 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm by Allison Marinucci

5. Our first-grader Daisy troop was SO looking forward to this! We are VERY disappointed that they are being excluded from this event. For what it’s worth, there are more than one of the girls who have run more than one 5Ks before. This is NOT giving equal opportunity. Girls should be able to participate at the level of their comfort and ability, not by limitation of their age.

Please reconsider your policy by “Being a sister to EVERY scout.”

January 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm by Katherine Hunter

6. Hi Katherine!

We are so sorry your girls are dissapointed, and it’s wonderful your girls have run 5Ks before. We based our decision based on the nature of the activity, but there are still many ways for your girls to be involved! Please email me directly at amarinucci@gsneny.org for more information in how your Daisies can participate. We are considering this to be an annual event, and we certainly will keep this in consideration for future events. Any other questions, please let me know.

-Allison Marinucci

January 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm by Allison Marinucci

7. Please fix the format of the pdf with information. It shows up as blanked out similar to all the forms on the web site last spring. I’m not sure what program you guys use to create these downloads, but the point is what ever you are using can’t be download by MANY users. I have fully up to date systems so please don’t tell me again that is the problem!

January 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm by jody

8. Hi Jody – I just double checked everything with the PDFs. There’s no problem that we can find. If you are still having problems, please email us at info@gsneny.org and we can work with you to try and solve this problem. In the meantime I suggest to check out this website that I found that might help you troubleshoot. http://www.bnl.gov/itd/webapps/pdf_help.asp

Katie Krebs
    Web & Social Media Specialist

January 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm by katie

9. our troops were excited about this 5k race & were all set to sign up, until it was pointed out it was a Sunday morning :( . I realize your constraints with the City of Troy needing to approve things. Conflict with Church & Sunday school will have an affect on numbers that can attend. Not sure if a later start time might help, if you are able to make any changes at this point. We have many Girl Scouts that run the Freihoffers Run for Women each year, maybe that’s a partnership GSNENY can foster.

January 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm by K Fagan

10. Unfortunately, the times are set can not be changed based on the use of city streets and the public officials aiding in keeping the route safe. Great suggestion on partnering with an existing race! If it proves to be an annual event, it is option worth considering. Appreciate your feedback!
    -Allison Marinucci
    Advocacy Coordinator
    GSNENY

January 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm by Allison Marinucci

11. Hey this looks great for my Juniors. It looks like you earn the Agent of Change Jouney by following the program … am I correct? I have one avid runner in my troop that might be very interested, even if the others are not. I’ll check in with her.

January 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm by L K

12. I am very disappointed that my 2nd yr daisies can not participate.. They too were very excited about it and since it is supposed to be a non-competitive run I dont see any reason why we shouldn’t have our girls participate esp with the learning aspect and the program leading up to it.. the earlier our girls learn health habits the better.. the inital annoucment that came out in the girl magazine had no mention of an age restriction and ALL of our girls are interested in doing it and now I have to break the news to them that they can’t?!?!? I dont think them volunterring at the event would be fair.. it’s rubbing in the fact that they could not participate.. I am very disappointed. I suggest if there are age restrictions on event they are posted on ALL publications before ANY girl can be disappointed

January 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm by Heather Gilmore

13. Also if this is an age restricted activity what is the age??? we have some daisies that are 7 and in 1st grade… ugh I am so frustrated!!!!

January 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm by Heather Gilmore

14. I just had the same PDF issue Jody mentioned with my iPad, but works on a Dell.

January 20, 2012 at 1:26 am by Beth

15. I understand alot of the complaints especially regarding the Daisies, the fact that they get left out of alot is absolutely ludicris. Just a few years ago they weren’t even able to sell girl scout cookies.

As for this event being held on a Sunday, I understand that you have Religious obligations but I’m sure God will forgive you for missing one day of service for a wonderful experience for you and the girls.

I really think council needs to really read through there policies and add some parents, leaders to there meetings regarding some of these policies because some of them make me not want to be a leader.

January 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm by Tammy Kilmartin

16. Ladies,

Your feedback has been heard regarding the Daisies, and will we certainly keep that in mind if this becomes a future event. Keep in mind the decision was based on their best interest and the nature of the activity. If you are interested in how they can still be apart of the event, please email me directly for more specific information. Thank for your passion to Girl Scouting.

-Allison Marinucci
    Advocacy Coordinator
    amarinucci@gsneny.org

January 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm by Allison Marinucci

17. My troop is very excited about this experience and it would be wonderful if it did become an annual event. I think it should remain it’s own cause to promote girl health and Girl Scouting. The message may get lost if it were combined with another cause. I found the tool kit to be a great resource. The commitment to this event will bring our girls closer together allowing them to really support eachother and their community.

It is very difficult to plan an event of this nature and be able to accomodate everyone’s individual needs. Hopefully we can concentrate on the benefits of this oppurtunity and make improvements for years to come.

January 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm by Meg Parascandola

18. I’m the leader of a 1st grade daisy troop. I get the thinking that they are too young for a 5K. Perhaps a shorter run with an abbreviated training program could be planned for the daisies? If the concern is a run through the city streets – maybe the daisy run could be held in Prospect Park in Troy? I think we can live with whatever is decided. I feel that part of the leaders job at the daisy level is to show the parents all of the good stuff girl scouts can do so they want to stay with it. So far there haven’t been a ton of activities to show daisy parents what the larger girl scout community does. I was pleased to see that the winter/spring GS Adventures catalog had a lot of offerings for the daisies.

January 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm by Christy Carroll

19. I can’t believe how many people are complaining about the day/time of the event. It’s a race for goodness sake. Races are held on various days (including Sundays). If it conflicts with church – then go to mass on Saturday. I do have one question though. Since the Daisy’s are excluded from participating in this – could there be an additional 1 mile run added so they can participate too?

January 24, 2012 at 12:49 am by B

20. The toolkits created for the Year of the Girl Run only incorporate a few components of the Journey mentioned and do not fully cover the Journey. By completing the toolkit and Run you will only fulfill part of the Journey

January 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm by Linda Stephen

21. I couldn’t get the pdf’s to work either. They showed up as fat black highlighted sections and no text. Very frustrating! But seems like a cool program…

January 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm by EM

22. Thank you Allison for adding the Daisy Dash!!! I think that is a really nice way to be inclusive (it could be a mile, but I’ll take the 400m).
    Races for girls are more than just running, they really can help them to see themselves as strong physically and emotionally!
    Thank you for setting it up and I hope it becomes an annual event for the girls to work towards each year!

The idea to link to the other races can be as simple as providing GS families with the information so the girls can run in as many or as few as they like. Every fall there is a children’s fun run (1 mile) at the Stockadathon in Schenectady. It is a great first race, costs $3 and every finisher gets a medal.

January 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm by Patty Persell

23. Thanks for finding a way to include our Daisies ! My troop will be excited to run, and just as excited to cheer at the finish line .

January 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm by Pam Regensburger

24. just wonder my troop lives four hours away is there a chance they can do on the same day here and still get the tshirt and medal

January 31, 2012 at 12:23 am by desiree lasalle

25. If you are planning on participating in the Daisy Dash please remember to fill out the program registration form & waiver for the event so we are prepared for the girls who will be dashing. Remember to note on the program registration form,(Daisy Dash with t-shirt)sizeand include your payment of $12.00 to cover the shirts.
    We are really excited to have Daisies be a prt of the run and activities.

February 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm by Linda Stephen

26. I would like to sign my daughter up for the daisy dash, and get a shirt..How do i do this??

February 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm by Samantha Hitchcock

27. Hi Samantha!

Fill out the program registration form & wavier and note it is for the Daisy Dash. Indicate t-shirt size and include your payment of $12.00. The links to required forms are listed in the blog. Looking forward to seeing you on April 29th!

-Allison Marinucci

February 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm by Allison Marinucci

28. hello, we live in vt (no troop) so we belong to troop 3279 in granville,ny my two girls will be doing the Girls On The Run in vt thru our school its a 5k set up just like yours can the girls earn a badge for this? maybe a t shirt?

March 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm by Raechel

29. The toolkits developed for the Year of the Girl Run compliments Journeys and some of the badges within Girls Guides to Girl Scouting for each grade level of the girls, but there is no specific badge that can be earned by participating. The t-shirt is included in the cost of registering for the Year of the Girl program/event. Please contact me if you have any other questions or concerns lstephen@gsneny.org

March 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm by Linda Stephen

30. Only one week left to register for the Year of the Girl Run. Will you be there with your girls?

March 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm by Linda Stephen

31. This will be the first program that my daughter, a Brownie, is able to participate in up here. Is it sufficient to mail the form tomorrow (16th) or do I need to drive it somewhere?

March 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm by Melia Gordon

32. Allison–I just wanted to thank you (as others have) for for listening to leader and parent feedback, and finding a way to include the Daisies in the Run by adding the Dash. I think the entire event is a fantastic idea, and hope it will remain an annual one. The only reason my 2nd-grade Brownie troop won’t be participating this year is that we have a troop field trip the same day (it took a lot of planning and couldn’t be rescheduled). But we wish everyone who is running (or dashing) this year the best of luck, and hope to join you next year!

March 23, 2012 at 3:02 am by Kim McClive-Reed

33. Why is registration for this event closed already? We can get into other races up to the day of the event.

March 28, 2012 at 12:22 am by Darcy Mack

34. Thank you Kim for you kind comments! We are looking to make this an annual event.

Darcy, to answer your question, registration closed at the specific date to ensure materials for all participants. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

March 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm by Allison Marinucci

35. I just looked at this in order to provide information to my Brownies who are meeting today. I am really disappointed to find that the registration is closed. The run is a month away. Why such a early registration closing? Is there any way to still register?

March 29, 2012 at 4:29 pm by Carol Gascoyne

36. Carol,
    Registration closed at the specific date to ensure materials for all participants. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

March 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm by Allison Marinucci

37. This is such a great idea, why limit it to once? Can you plan one for the fall or next year?

April 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm by Anita Scott

38. how long is the race and can independent girls run?

April 16, 2012 at 10:44 am by Sofie Willis